Breast cancer (BCa) remains the most common cancer in women worldwide. It has been shown that microRNAs (miRs) play essential roles in tumorigenesis and progression in many types of cancers, including BCa. We assessed the role of miR-766 on the proliferation, chemosensitivity, migration, and invasion of BCa cells.
Materials and Methods
The effect of miR-766 on the proliferation of MCF-7 and T47D BCa cells was evaluated using the MTT assay. The function of miR-766 on the migration and invasion of MCF-7 and T47D cells was examined using Transwell migration and Matrigel invasion assays. Protein expression was evaluated by Western blot. The role of miR-766 on 5-fluorouracil–induced apoptosis in MCF-7 and T47D cells was determined using the Caspase-Glo3/7 assay. A subcutaneous tumor xenograft was performed to examine the effect of miR-766 on tumor growth in vivo.
Upregulation of miR-766 improved the proliferation, invasion, and migration of BCa cells. Furthermore, miR-766 reduced the sensitivity of MCF-7 and T47D cells to 5-fluorouracil treatment. The tumor xenograft experiment showed that miR-766 promoted BCa growth in vivo. miR-766 decreased 5-flurouracil–induced apoptosis by regulation of BAX and Bcl-2 expression. miR-766 also affected the epithelial–mesenchymal transition by altering E-cadherin, N-cadherin, SNAIL, and vimentin expression in MCF-7 and T47D cells. Further study showed that the expression of phosphatase and tensin homolog and phosphorylated AKT in MCF-7 and T47D cells had changed after aberrant expression of miR-766.
Conclusion: miR-766 displayed important roles in tumorigenesis and progression in BCa cells and might act as a potential biomarker to predict the chemotherapy response and progression in BCa.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Breast Cancer
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Global cancer in women: burden and trends.Cancer Epidemiol. 2017; 26: 444-457
- Five-year and lifetime risk of breast cancer among U.S. subpopulations: implications for magnetic resonance imaging screening.Cancer Epidemiol. 2010; 19: 2430-2436
- Cancer treatment and survivorship statistics, 2016.CA Cancer J Clin. 2016; 66: 271-289
- The origin of breast tumor heterogeneity.Oncogene. 2015; 34: 5309-5316
- Combination therapy in combating cancer.Oncotarget. 2017; 8: 38022-38043
- Effects of 5-fluorouracil on morphology, cell cycle, proliferation, apoptosis, autophagy and ROS production in endothelial cells and cardiomyocytes.PLoS One. 2015; 10: e0115686
- 5-Fluorouracil: mechanisms of action and clinical strategies.Nat Rev Cancer. 2003; 3: 330-338
- ADAM12-L confers acquired 5-fluorouracil resistance in breast cancer cells.Sci Rep. 2017; 7: 9687
- 5-Fluorouracil chemotherapy of gastric cancer generates residual cells with properties of cancer stem cells.Int J Biol Sci. 2015; 11: 284-294
- 53BP1 sensitizes breast cancer cells to 5-fluorouracil.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e74928
- MicroRNAs in human cancer.Adv Exp Med Biol. 2013; 774: 1-20
- Aberrant regulation and function of microRNAs in cancer.Curr Biol. 2014; 24: R762-R776
- microRNA, cell cycle, and human breast cancer.Am J Pathol. 2010; 176: 1058-1064
- MicroRNAs in breast cancer: oncogene and tumor suppressors with clinical potential.J Zhejiang Univ Sci B. 2015; 16: 18-31
- MicroRNA-193a inhibits breast cancer proliferation and metastasis by downregulating WT1.PLoS One. 2017; 12: e0185565
- Let-7 regulates self-renewal and tumorigenicity of breast cancer cells.Cell. 2007; 131: 1109-1123
- The heterochronic microRNA let-7 inhibits cell motility by regulating the genes in the actin cytoskeleton pathway in breast cancer.Mol Cancer Res. 2013; 11: 240-250
- Circulating microRNAs in breast cancer: novel diagnostic and prognostic biomarkers.Cell Death Dis. 2017; 8: e3045
- Circulating microRNAs as blood-based markers for patients with primary and metastatic breast cancer.Breast Cancer Res. 2010; 12: R90
- miRDB: an online resource for microRNA target prediction and functional annotations.Nucl Acids Res. 2015; 43: D146-D152
- miRNA control of tumor cell invasion and metastasis.Int J Cancer. 2010; 126: 1283-1290
- MicroRNA-766 targeting regulation of SOX6 expression promoted cell proliferation of human colorectal cancer.Onco Targets Ther. 2015; 8: 2981-2988
- MicroRNA-766 promotes cancer progression by targeting NR3C2 in hepatocellular carcinoma.FASEB J. 2018; 33: 1456-1467
- Microarray analysis of microRNA expression in cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma.J Dermatol Sci. 2012; 68: 119-126
- MiR-766 induces p53 accumulation and G2/M arrest by directly targeting MDM4.Oncotarget. 2017; 8: 29914-29924
- Role of miR-19b and its target mRNAs in 5-fluorouracil resistance in colon cancer cells.J Gastroenterol. 2012; 47: 883-895
- MicroRNA-587 antagonizes 5-FU-induced apoptosis and confers drug resistance by regulating PPP2R1B expression in colorectal cancer.Cell Death Dis. 2016; 7: e2525
- Circulating breast tumor cells exhibit dynamic changes in epithelial and mesenchymal composition.Science. 2013; 339: 580-584
- Circulating tumor cells from patients with advanced prostate and breast cancer display both epithelial and mesenchymal markers.Mol Cancer Res. 2011; 9: 997-1007
- Acquisition of epithelial-mesenchymal transition is associated with Skp2 expression in paclitaxel-resistant breast cancer cells.Br J Cancer. 2014; 110: 1958-1967
- Twist1-mediated Adriamycin-induced epithelial-mesenchymal transition relates to multidrug resistance and invasive potential in breast cancer cells.Clin Cancer Res. 2009; 15: 2657-2665
- The microRNAs miR-373 and miR-520c promote tumour invasion and metastasis.Nat Cell Biol. 2008; 10: 202-210
- Loss of PTEN expression in breast cancer: association with clinicopathological characteristics and prognosis.Oncotarget. 2017; 8: 32043-32054
- MicroRNA-498 promotes proliferation and migration by targeting the tumor suppressor PTEN in breast cancer cells.Carcinogenesis. 2018; 39: 1185-1196
- MiR-106b and miR-93 regulate cell progression by suppression of PTEN via PI3K/Akt pathway in breast cancer.Cell Death Dis. 2017; 8: e2796
Published online: September 18, 2020
Accepted: October 17, 2019
Received in revised form: October 17, 2019
Received: March 9, 2019
© 2020 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.