Materials and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
National Comprehensive Cancer Network. Breast Cancer (Version 5.2020). Available at: https://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/pdf/breast.pdf Accessed 15 July 2020.
- Effect of radiotherapy after breast-conserving surgery on 10 year recurrence and 15 year breast cancer death: meta-analysis of individual patient data for 10,801 women in 17 randomized trials.Lancet. 2011; 378: 1707-1716
- Effect of radiotherapy after mastectomy and axillary surgery on 10-year recurrence and 20-year breast cancer mortality: meta-analysis of individual patient data for 8135 women in 22 randomized trials.Lancet. 2014; 383: 2127-2135
- Regional nodal irradiation in pT1-2N1 breast cancer patients treated with breast-conserving surgery and whole breast irradiation.Radiat Oncol J. 2020; 38: 44-51
- A systematic review and meta-analysis of clinician-reported versus patient-reported outcomes of radiation dermatitis.Breast. 2020; 50: 125-134
- Non-invasive quantitative measures of qualitative grading effectiveness as the indices of acute radiation dermatitis in breast cancer patients.Breast Cancer. 2020; 27: 861-870
- Changes in keratinocyte differentiation during accelerated repopulation of the irradiated mouse epidermis.Int J Radiat Biol. 1996; 69: 763-769
- Damage of hair follicle stem cells and alteration of keratin expression in external radiation-induced acute alopecia.Int J Mol Med. 2012; 30: 579-584
- Damage to sebaceous gland and the efficacy of moisturizer after whole breast radiotherapy: a randomized controlled trial.BMC Cancer. 2019; 19: 125
- TGF-beta1 and radiation fibrosis: a master switch and a specific therapeutic target?.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2000; 47: 277-290
- Radiation-induced alterations in cytokine production by skin cells.Exp Hematol. 2007; 35: 96-104
- Acute radiation dermatitis in breast cancer patients: challenges and solutions.Breast Cancer (Dove Med Press). 2017; 9: 313-323
Common Terminology Criteria for Adverse Events (CTCAE), Version 5.0. Available at: https://ctep.cancer.gov/protocoldevelopment/electronic_applications/docs/CTCAE_v5_Quick_Reference_5×7.pdf Accessed 19 August 2020.
RTOG/EORTC late radiation morbidity scoring schema. Available at: https://www.rtog.org/researchassociates/adverseeventreporting/rtogeortclateradiationmorbidityscoringschema.aspx Accessed 15 July 2020.
- Frequency and severity of skin reactions in patients with breast cancer undergoing adjuvant radiotherapy, the usefulness of two assessment instruments - a pilot study.Eur J Cancer. 2011; 47: 2665-2672
- Changes in biophysical properties of the skin following radiotherapy for breast cancer.J Dermatol. 2014; 41: 1087-1094
- Patient-reported symptoms of radiation dermatitis during breast cancer radiotherapy: a pilot study.Qual Life Res. 2017; 26: 1713-1719
- Predictive factors of radiation-induced skin toxicity in breast cancer patients.BMC Cancer. 2010; 10: 508
- Dosimetric comparison of IMRT versus 3DCRT for post-mastectomy chest wall irradiation.Radiat Oncol J. 2018; 36: 71-78
- Late-term effects of hypofractionated chest wall and regional nodal radiotherapy with two-dimensional technique in patients with breast cancer.Radiat Oncol J. 2020; 38: 109-118
- Relationships among patient characteristics, irradiation treatment planning parameters, and treatment toxicity of acute radiation dermatitis after breast hybrid intensity modulation radiation therapy.PLoS One. 2018; 13e0200192
- EEMCO guidance for the in vivo assessment of skin greasiness. The EEMCO Group.Skin Pharmacol Appl Skin Physiol. 2000; 13: 372-389
- EEMCO guidance for the assessment of transepidermal water loss in cosmetic sciences.Skin Pharmacol Appl Skin Physiol. 2001; 14: 117-128
- Radiation dermatitis: clinical presentation, pathophysiology, and treatment 2006.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2006; 54: 28-46
- Treatment of acute radiodermatitis with an oil-in-water emulsion following radiation therapy for breast cancer: a controlled, randomized trial.Strahlenther Onkol. 2011; 187: 378-384
- Impaired skin integrity related to radiation therapy.J Enterostomal Ther. 1990; 17: 193-198
- Maintaining skin integrity during radiation therapy.Am J Nurs. 1997; 97: 40-44
- Management of skin toxicity during radiation therapy: a review of the evidence.J Med Imaging Radiat Oncol. 2010; 54: 264-279
- Evidence-based skin care management in radiation therapy.Semin Oncol Nurs. 2006; 22: 163-173
- The clinical features and pathophysiology of acute radiation dermatitis in patients receiving tomotherapy.Ann Dermatol. 2009; 21: 358-363
- Biophysical skin measurements to evaluate the effectiveness of photobiomodulation therapy in the prevention of acute radiation dermatitis in breast cancer patients.Support Care Cancer. 2019; 27: 1245-1254
- Correlation between dosimetric parameters and acute dermatitis of post-operative radiotherapy in breast cancer patients.In Vivo. 2018; 32: 1499-1504
- Patient-reported outcome measures in radiotherapy: clinical advances and research opportunities in measurement for survivorship.Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2015; 27: 679-685
- Long-term results of forward intensity-modulated radiation therapy for patients with early-stage breast cancer.Radiat Oncol J. 2013; 31: 191-198
- Comparison of provider-assessed and patient-reported outcome measures of acute skin toxicity during a Phase III trial of mometasone cream versus placebo during breast radiotherapy: the North Central Cancer Treatment Group (N06C4).Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2011; 81: 397-402
- Patient versus clinician symptom reporting using the National Cancer Institute Common Terminology Criteria for Adverse Events: results of a questionnaire-based study.Lancet Oncol. 2006; 7: 903-909
- Measurement properties of Skindex-16: a brief quality-of-life measure for patients with skin diseases.J Cutan Med Surg. 2001; 5: 105-110
- Preliminary reliability and validity testing of a new Skin Toxicity Assessment Tool (STAT) in breast cancer patients undergoing radiotherapy.Am J Clin Oncol. 2004; 27: 626-631
- Pain assessment: global use of the Brief Pain Inventory.Ann Acad Med Singap. 1994; 23: 129-138
Yoo and Kang contributed equally to this paper.
Key Message: Surgery type did not differentiate the biophysical properties of radiation-dermatitis in the breast cancer patients.