Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Global Cancer Statistics 2020: GLOBOCAN Estimates of Incidence and Mortality Worldwide for 36 Cancers in 185 Countries.CA Cancer J Clin. 2021; 71: 209-249https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21660
AIHW. Cancer in Australia 2019. Canberra; 2019.
- New trends in breast cancer surgery: a therapeutic approach increasingly efficacy and respectful of the patient.G Chir. 2015; 36 (DOI: doi:): 145-152https://doi.org/10.11138/gchir/2015.36.4.145
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy in breast cancer: A clinical review and update.Journal of Breast Cancer. 2017; 20: 217-227https://doi.org/10.4048/jbc.2017.20.3.217
- Surgical Management of the Breast.Breast Conservation and Mastectomy. Surgical Clinics of North America. 2013; 93: 411-428https://doi.org/10.1016/j.suc.2012.12.006
- Prevalence of Breast Cancer Treatment Sequelae Over 6 Years of Follow-up.Cancer. 2012; 118: 2217-2225https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.27474
- Long-term follow-up on shoulder and arm morbidity in patients treated for early breast cancer.Acta oncologica (Stockholm, Sweden). 2020; 59: 851-858https://doi.org/10.1080/0284186X.2020.1745269
- Shoulder and arm morbidity in sentinel node-negative breast cancer patients: a systematic review.Breast Cancer Research and Treatment. 2014; 144: 21-31https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-014-2846-5
- Exercise interventions for upper-limb dysfunction due to breast cancer treatment.Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2010; https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD005211.pub2
QH. Breast Cancer Surgical Management in Queensland Public and Private Hospitals. [internet] 2017 [cited 22/05/ 2019 ]. Available from: https://cancerallianceqld.health.qld.gov.au/media/1070/breast-cancer-surgical-management-in-queensland-public-and-private-hospitals.pdf
- Effectiveness of exercise programmes on shoulder mobility and lymphoedema after axillary lymph node dissection for breast cancer: systematic review.J Adv Nurs. 2010; 66: 1902-1914https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2010.05374.x
- Conservative interventions for preventing clinically detectable upper-limb lymphoedema in patients who are at risk of developing lymphoedema after breast cancer therapy.Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2015; (DOI:)Cd009765https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD009765.pub2
- Effectiveness of early rehabilitation on range of motion, muscle strength and arm function after breast cancer surgery: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials.Clinical Rehabilitation. 2019; 33 (DOI:): 1876-1886https://doi.org/10.1177/0269215519873026
- Effectiveness of postoperative physical therapy for upper-limb impairments after breast cancer treatment: a systematic review.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2015; 96: 1140-1153https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2015.01.006
- Efficacy of Physical Therapy Methods and Exercise after a Breast Cancer operation: A Systematic Review.Critical Reviews in Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine. 2001; 13https://doi.org/10.1615/CritRevPhysRehabilMed.v13.i2-3.40
- Methods to improve rehabilitation of patients following breast cancer surgery: a review of systematic reviews.Breast cancer (Dove Medical Press). 2015; 7: 81-98https://doi.org/10.2147/bctt.S47012
- The efficacy of physiotherapy upon shoulder function following axillary dissection in breast cancer, a randomized controlled study.BMC Cancer. 2007; 7: 166https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-7-166
- Shoulder amplitude movement does not influence postoperative wound complications after breast cancer surgery: a randomized clinical trial.Breast Cancer Research and Treatment. 2020; 184: 97-105https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-020-05826-9
- Strengths of early physical rehabilitation programs in surgical breast cancer patients: results of a randomized controlled study.European Journal of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine. 2014; 50: 275-284
- The effectiveness of a clinical and home-based physical activity program and simple lymphatic drainage in the prevention of breast cancer-related lymphedema: A prospective randomized controlled study.Eur J Oncol Nurs. 2017; 31: 12-21https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejon.2017.09.004
- Long term effects of manual lymphatic drainage and active exercises on physical morbidities, lymphoscintigraphy parameters and lymphedema formation in patients operated due to breast cancer: a clinical trial.PLoS one. 2018; 13e0189176https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0189176
- Effects of Progressive Upper Limb Exercises and Muscle Relaxation Training on Upper Limb Function and Health-Related Quality of Life Following Surgery in Women with Breast Cancer: a Clinical Randomized Controlled Trial.Annals of Surgical Oncology. 2019; 26: 2156-2165https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-019-07305-y
- Randomised controlled trial of exercise to prevent shoulder problems in women undergoing breast cancer treatment: study protocol for the prevention of shoulder problems trial (UK PROSPER).BMJ open. 2018; 8e019078https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2017-019078
- Physical activity for the affected limb and arm lymphedema after breast cancer surgery. A prospective, randomized controlled trial with two years follow-up.Acta oncologica (Stockholm, Sweden). 2009; 48: 1102-1110https://doi.org/10.3109/02841860903061683
- Preferred reporting items for systematic review and meta-analysis protocols (PRISMA-P) 2015 statement.Systematic Reviews. 2015; 4: 1https://doi.org/10.1186/2046-4053-4-1
Redemski T. Rehabilitation for women undergoing breast cancer surgery: a systematic review evaluating the effectiveness and safety of early, unrestricted exercise programs on upper limb function. . 2020. DOI: 10.17605/OSF.IO/Q5FHS.
- The PRISMA 2020 statement: an updated guideline for reporting systematic reviews.BMJ. 2021; 372 (DOI: g/10.1136/bmj.n71)
- Improving the translation of search strategies using the Polyglot Search Translator: A randomised controlled trial.J Med Libr Assoc. 2020; 108: 195-207https://doi.org/10.5195/jmla.2020.834
WHO. World Health Organisation International Clinical Trials Registry Platform 2020 [cited 07/07/ 2020 ]. Available from: https://www.who.int/clinical-trials-registry-platform.
EndNote X9. Clarivate Analytics; 2018.
- Reliability of the PEDro scale for rating quality of randomized controlled trials.Physical Therapy. 2003; 83: 713-721https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/83.8.713
- Agreement betweenthe Cochrane risk of bias tool and Physiotherapy Evidence Database (PEDro) scale: A meta-epidemiological study of randomized controlled trials of physical therapy interventions.PLoS One. 2019; 19https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0222770
- Rating quality of evidence and strength of recommendations: GRADE: An emerging consensus on rating quality of evidence and strength of recommendations.BMJ. 2008; 336 (DOI: 10.1136/bmj.39489.470347.AD)
GRADEpro GDT. McMaster University & Evidence Prime Inc.; 2020.
- Therapeutic effects of aerobic and resistance exercises for cancer survivors: a systematic review of meta-analyses of clinical trials.Br J Sports Med. 2018; 52: 1311https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsports-2017-098285
- The Hartung-Knapp-Sidik-Jonkman method for random effects meta-analysis is straightforward and considerably outperfoms the standard DerSimonian-Laird method.BMC Medical Research Methodology. 2014; 14https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2288-14-25
- A simple method to estimate preduiction intervals and predictive distributes: Summarizing meta-analyses beyond means and confidence intervals.Research Synthesis Methods. 2019; 10: 255-266https://doi.org/10.1002/jrsm.1345
- How to perform a meta-analysis with R: a practical tutorial.Evidence-Based Mental Health. 2019; 22: 153-160
- Clinimetrics: Physiotherapy Evidence Database (PEDro) Scale.Journal of Physiotherapy. 2020; 66: 59https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jphys.2019.08.005
- Shoulder movement after breast cancer surgery: results of a randomised controlled study of postoperative physiotherapy.Breast Cancer Research and Treatment. 2002; 75: 35-50https://doi.org/10.1023/a:1016571204924
- Physiotherapy after breast cancer surgery: results of a randomised controlled study to minimise lymphoedema.Breast Cancer Research and Treatment. 2002; 75: 51-64https://doi.org/10.1023/a:1016591121762
Effectiveness of an early healthcare program and post-operative management of the upper limb in women with breast cancer. 2018 [cited 08/07/2020]. Available from: https://anzctr.org.au/ACTRN12618000719235.aspx.
The multicenter, randomized control trial of outpatient rehabilitation after breast cancer surgery 2020 [cited 07/07/2020]. Available from: https://upload.umin.ac.jp/cgi-open-bin/ctr_e/ctr_view.cgi?recptno=R000044380.
- Postoperative pain after breast cancer surgery: the UK Prevention of Shoulder Problems Trial (UK PROSPER).Psychosomatic medicine. 2019; 81: A209-AA10https://doi.org/10.1097/PSY.0000000000000699
- The effectiveness of early rehabilitation in patients with modified radical mastectomy.Cancer nursing. 2008; 31: 160-165https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NCC.0000305696.12873.0e
- Effectiveness of a self-administered, home-based exercise rehabilitation program for women following a modified radical mastectomy and axillary node dissection: a preliminary study.Breast Cancer Research and Treatment. 2008; 109: 285-295https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-007-9649-x
- Derchain S. Implications of a postoperative rehabilitation program on quality of life in women with primary breast cancer treated with sentinel lymph node biopsy or complete axillary lymph node dissection.Ann Surg Oncol. 2008; 15: 3342-3349https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-008-0161-2
- Topping A. A randomised controlled trial of two programmes of shoulder exercise following axillary node dissection for invasive breast cancer.Physiotherapy. 2008; 94: 265-273https://doi.org/10.1016/j.physio.2008.09.005
- Influence of full functional exercises on affected side of upper limb edema in patients after radical mastectomy.Chinese Nursing Research. 2015; 29: 436-439https://doi.org/10.3969/j.issn.1009-6493.2015.04.016
- Shoulder movement after surgery for invasive breast carcinoma: Randomized controlled study of postoperative exercises.RBJO. 2004; 26: 125-130
- A Randomized Controlled Trial on the Prevention of Seroma after Partial or Total Mastectomy and Axillary Lymph Node Dissection.Breast cancer (Tokyo, Japan). 1998; 5: 67-69https://doi.org/10.1007/bf02967417
- Effect of shoulder immobilization on wound seroma and shoulder dysfunction following modified radical mastectomy: a randomized prospective clinical trial.British Journal of Surgery. 1989; 76: 311-312https://doi.org/10.1002/bjs.1800760329
- Wound drainage following radical mastectomy: the effect of restriction of shoulder movement.British Journal of Surgery. 1979; 66: 302-305https://doi.org/10.1002/bjs.1800660503
- Immediate versus delayed shoulder exercises after axillary lymph node dissection.American Journal of Surgery. 1990; 160: 481-484https://doi.org/10.1016/s0002-9610(05)81008-6
- Axillary lymphadenectomy. A prospective, randomized trial of 13 factors influencing drainage, including early or delayed arm mobilization.Archives of Surgery. 1990; 125: 378-382https://doi.org/10.1001/archsurg.1990.01410150100018
- Delayed shoulder exercises in reducing seroma frequency after modified radical mastectomy: a prospective randomized study.Annals of Surgical Oncology. 1997; 4: 293-297https://doi.org/10.1007/bf02303577
- Shoulder function following early mobilization of the shoulder after mastectomy and axillary dissection.Netherlands Journal of Surgery. 1985; 37: 105-108
- Influence of the timing of physiotherapy upon the lymphatic complications of axillary dissection for breast cancer.International Surgery. 1987; 72: 166-169
- Prevention of Seromas in Mastectomy Wounds.Archives of Surgery. 1995; 130: 99-101https://doi.org/10.1001/archsurg.1995.01430010101021
- Barreau-Pouhaer L. Efficacy of massage and mobilization of the upper limb after surgical treatment of breast cancer.Bulletin du Cancer. 1997; 84: 957-961
- Rehabilitation of the mastectomy patient: a randomized, blind, prospective study.Archives of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. 1989; 70: 21-24
- Topping A. A randomised controlled trial of two programs of shoulder exercise following axillary node dissection for invasive breast cancer.Physiotherapy. 2008; 94: 265-272https://doi.org/10.1016/j.physio.2008.09.005
- Upper limb physical function and adverse effects after breast cancer surgery: a prospective 2.5-year follow-up study and preoperative measures.Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 2014; 95: 875-881https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2013.12.015
- What is clinically important in lymphoedema management? A systematic review.Rehabilitation Oncology. 2018; 36: 13-27https://doi.org/10.1097/01.REO.0000000000000093
- Validated outcome in the grafting of autologous fat to the rbeast: The VOGUE study. Development of a core outcome set for research and audit.Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2018; 141: 633ehttps://doi.org/10.1097/PRS.0000000000004273
- Outcomes and outcome measures reported in clinical studies of therapeutic mammaplasty: a shystematic review protocol.BMJ Open. 2021; 11e046438https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2020-046438
- Axillary node clearance: who wants to immobilize the shoulder?.European Journal of Surgical Oncology. 1996; 22: 569-570https://doi.org/10.1016/s0748-7983(96)92164-2
- Is Xbox 360 Kinect-based virtual reality training as effective as standard physiotherapy in patients undergoing breast cancer surgery?.Supportive Care in Cancer. 2020; 28: 4295-4303https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-019-05287-x
- Treatment related impairments in arm and shoulder in patients with breast cancer: A systematic review.PLoS One. 2014; 9: e96748https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0096748
- Prevention of seroma formation after axillary dissection in breast cancer: A systematic review.European Journal of Surgical Oncology. 2011; 37https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejso.2011.04.012
- 15 years of tracking physiotherapy evidence on PEDro, where are we now?.British Journal of Sports Medicine. 2015; 49https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsports-2014-094468
- The COMET (Core Outcome Measures in Effectiveness Trials) Initiative: its role in improving Cochrane Reviews.Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2012; https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.ED000041
Zhang H. A core outcome set for clinical trials of breast cancer related lymphedema (BCRL) 2020 [cited 07/12/2020]. Available from: https://www.comet-initiative.org/Studies/Details/1383.
- A prospective surveillance model for rehabilitation for women with breast cancer.Cancer. 2012; 118: 2191-2200https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.27476