- •Intensified therapies predominated for surgery, chemotherapy, and radiotherapy.
- •Locoregional radiotherapy was associated with improved outcomes, and notably for improved locoregional relapse-free survival in triple-negative breast cancer.
- •Locoregional radiotherapy omission was a factor predicting lower breast cancer-specific survival and overall survival on multivariable analysis.
Materials and Methods
Abbreviations:RT (radiotherapy), NAC (neoadjuvant chemotherapy), LRRT (locoregional radiotherapy), LRRFS (locoregional relapse-free survival), BCSS (breast cancer specific survival), OS (overall survival), TNBC (triple negative breast cancer), pCR (pathologic complete response), BCS (breast conserving surgery), SNB (sentinel node biopsy), AND (axillary nodal dissection)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Regional nodal irradiation in early-stage breast cancer.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 307-316https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1415340
- Effect of radiotherapy after mastectomy and axillary surgery on 10-year recurrence and 20-year breast cancer mortality: meta-analysis of individual patient data for 8135 women in 22 randomised trials.The Lancet. 2014; 383: 2127-2135https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(14)60488-8
- Internal mammary and medial supraclavicular irradiation in breast cancer.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 317-327https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1415369
- Is surgery necessary after complete clinical remission following neoadjuvant chemotherapy for early breast cancer?.J clin oncol: off j Am Soc Clin Oncol. 2003; 21: 4540https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2003.05.208
- Locoregional control according to breast cancer subtype and response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy in breast cancer patients undergoing breast-conserving therapy.Ann Surg Oncol. 2016; 23: 749-756https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-015-4921-5
- Pathological complete response and long-term clinical benefit in breast cancer: the CTNeoBC pooled analysis.Lancet, The. 2014; 384: 164-172https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(13)62422-8
- The clinical significance of breast-only and node-only pathologic complete response (pCR) after neoadjuvant chemotherapy (NACT): A review of 20,000 breast cancer patients in the national cancer data base (NCDB).Ann Surg. 2018; 268: 591-601https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0000000000002953
- Impact of age on pathological complete response and locoregional recurrence in locally advanced breast cancer after neoadjuvant chemotherapy.Biomed J. 2019; 42: 66-74https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bj.2018.10.007
- Locoregional therapy of locally advanced breast cancer: a clinical practice guideline.Current oncol (Toronto, Ont.). 2014; 22: S54-S66https://doi.org/10.3747/co.22.2316
- Breast conservation after neoadjuvant chemotherapy: the M.D. Anderson cancer center experience.J clin oncol. 2004; 22: 2303-2312https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2004.09.062
- Sentinel-lymph-node biopsy in patients with breast cancer before and after neoadjuvant chemotherapy (SENTINA): A prospective, multicentre cohort study.The lancet oncol. 2013; 14: 609-618https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(13)70166-9
- Sentinel lymph node surgery after neoadjuvant chemotherapy in patients with node-positive breast cancer: the ACOSOG Z1071 (alliance) clinical trial.JAMA: the j Am Med Assoc. 2013; 310: 1455-1461https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2013.278932
- Identification and resection of clipped node decreases the false-negative rate of sentinel lymph node surgery in patients presenting with node-positive breast cancer (T0–T4, N1–N2) who receive neoadjuvant chemotherapy: results from ACOSOG Z1071 (alliance).Ann Surg. 2016; 263: 802-807https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0000000000001375
- Incidence of unilateral arm lymphoedema after breast cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Lancet Oncol, The. 2013; 14: 500-515https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(13)70076-7
- Radiotherapy or surgery of the axilla after a positive sentinel node in breast cancer (EORTC 10981-22023 AMAROS): A randomised, multicentre, open-label, phase 3 non-inferiority trial.Lancet Oncol. 2014; 15: 1303-1310https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(14)70460-7
- Role of postmastectomy radiation after neoadjuvant chemotherapy in stage II-III breast cancer.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2012; 83: 494-503https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2012.01.068
- The importance of postoperative radiation therapy in multimodality management of locally advanced breast cancer: a phase II trial of neoadjuvant MVAC, surgery, and radiation.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1998; 40: 875-880https://doi.org/10.1016/s0360-3016(97)00897-3
- Predictors of local-regional recurrence after neoadjuvant chemotherapy and mastectomy without radiation.J clin oncol: off j Am Soc Clin Oncol. 2002; 20: 17https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2002.20.1.17
- Postmastectomy radiation improves local-regional control and survival for selected patients with locally advanced breast cancer treated with neoadjuvant chemotherapy and mastectomy.J Clin Oncol. 2004; 22: 4691-4699https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2004.11.129
- Postmastectomy radiation improves the outcome of patients with locally advanced breast cancer who achieve a pathologic complete response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2007; 68: 1004-1009https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2007.01.023
- Predictors of locoregional recurrence after neoadjuvant chemotherapy: results from combined analysis of national surgical adjuvant breast and bowel project B-18 and B-27.J Clin Oncol. 2012; 30: 3960-3966https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2011.40.8369
- Identifier NCT01872975, Standard or comprehensive radiation therapy in treating patients with early-stage breast cancer previously treated with chemotherapy and surgery. 2013; (Jun 7 [cited 2021 Jul 20]. Available from:)
- Identifier NCT01901094, Comparison of axillary lymph node dissection with axillary radiation for patients with node-positive breast cancer treated with chemotherapy. 2013; (Jul 17 [cited 2021 Jul 20]; [9 pages]. Available from:)
- Age, breast cancer subtype approximation, and local recurrence after breast-conserving therapy.Journal of clinical oncology. 2011; 29: 3885-3891https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2011.36.1105
Center for Drug Evaluation and Research. Pathological Complete Response in Neoadjuvant Treatment of High-risk Early-Stage Breast Cancer: Use as an Endpoint to Support Accelerated Approval; Guidance for Industry. FDA; 2020. Available at: https://www.fda.gov/media/83507/download. [Accessed 15 March 2022].
- Local-regional control according to surrogate markers of breast cancer subtypes and response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy in breast cancer patients undergoing breast conserving therapy.Breast cancer res: BCR. 2012; 14: R83https://doi.org/10.1186/bcr3198
- Factors predictive of locoregional recurrence following neoadjuvant chemotherapy in patients with large operable or locally advanced breast cancer: An analysis of the EORTC 10994/BIG 1-00 study.Eur J Cancer. 2017; 79: 226-234https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2017.04.012
- Tamoxifen with or without breast irradiation in women 50 years of age or older with early breast cancer.N Engl J Med. 2004; 351: 963-970https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa040595
- Lumpectomy plus tamoxifen with or without irradiation in women age 70 years or older with early breast cancer: long-term follow-up of CALGB 9343.J clin oncol. 2013; 31: 2382-2387https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2012.45.2615