- •The added benefit of MRI for evaluation of extent of disease is greater in ILC than IDC.
- •In ILC, MRI shows 80% to 90% concordance with pathology in defining extent of disease.
- •When discordance with pathology occurred, mammography and US more commonly underestimated and MRI more commonly overestimated extent of disease.
- •Pre-operative MRI should be considered for patients with ILC
- •Pre-operative MRI may decrease underestimation of disease extent and potentially contribute to a reduction in post-operative residual disease in IDC patients.
Patients and Methods
Abbreviations:IDC (invasive duct carcinoma), ILC (invasive lobular carcinoma), DCIS (ductal carcinoma in-situ), US (ultrasound), MRI (magnetic resonance imaging), MIP (maximal intensity projection)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Clinical-pathologic features, long term-outcome and surgical treatment in a large series of patients with invasive lobular carcinoma (ILC) and invasive ductal carcinoma (IDC).Eur J Surg Oncol. 2013; 39: 455-460
- Trends in incidence rates of invasive lobular and ductal breast carcinoma.JAMA. 2003; 289: 1421-1424
- Invasive lobular carcinoma of the breast: a special histological type compared with invasive ductal carcinoma.PLoS One. 2017; 12e0182397
- Infiltrating lobular carcinoma of the breast: tumor characteristics and clinical outcome.Breast Cancer Res. 2004; 6: R149-R156
- Essentials of Breast Surgery.Mosby Elsevier, Philadelphia PA2009
- Lobular breast cancer series: imaging.Breast Cancer Res. 2015; 17: 94
- MRI compared to conventional diagnostic work-up in the detection and evaluation of invasive lobular carcinoma of the breast: a review of existing literature.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2008; 107: 1-14
- Lobular breast cancer–the most common special subtype or a most special common subtype?.Breast Cancer Res. 2015; 17: 99
- Magnetic resonance imaging in patients with newly diagnosed breast cancer: a review of the literature.Cancer. 2014; 120: 2080-2089
- Rate of re-excision after breast-conserving surgery for invasive lobular carcinoma.Am Surg. 2013; 79: 1119-1122
- Breast cancer screening with imaging: recommendations from the Society of Breast Imaging and the ACR on the use of mammography, breast MRI, breast ultrasound, and other technologies for the detection of clinically occult breast cancer.J Am Coll Radiol. 2010; 7: 18-27
- Detection of breast cancer with addition of annual screening ultrasound or a single screening MRI to mammography in women with elevated breast cancer risk.JAMA. 2012; 307: 1394-1404
- Measurement of tumour size with mammography, sonography and magnetic resonance imaging as compared to histological tumour size in primary breast cancer.BMC Cancer. 2013; 13: 328
- Role of MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) versus conventional imaging for breast cancer presurgical staging in young women or with dense breast.Eur J Surg Oncol. 2011; 37: 199-204
- Preoperative breast MRI and surgical outcomes in elderly women with invasive ductal and lobular carcinoma: a population-based study.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2014; 143: 203-212
- Breast MRI: guidelines from the european society of breast imaging.Eur Radiol. 2008; 18: 1307-1318
- Value of MRI in the surgical planning of invasive lobular breast carcinoma: a prospective and a retrospective study of 57 cases: comparison with physical examination, conventional imaging, and histology.Clin Imaging. 2007; 31: 155-161
- Accuracy of preoperative breast MRI versus conventional imaging in measuring pathologic extent of invasive lobular carcinoma.J Breast Imaging. 2021; 3: 288-298
- ACR BI-RADS® Atlas, Breast Imaging Reporting and Data System.American College of Radiology, Reston, VA2013
- WHO Classification of Tumours of the Breast 4th edition.4 edn. WHO IARC, Lyon, France2012
- Pathological prognostic factors in breast cancer. I. the value of histological grade in breast cancer: experience from a large study with long-term follow-up.Histopathology. 1991; 19: 403-410
- Does routine grading of invasive lobular cancer of the breast have the same prognostic significance as for ductal cancers?.Eur J Surg Oncol. 2000; 26: 733-737
- Histologic grading is an independent prognostic factor in invasive lobular carcinoma of the breast.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2008; 111: 121-127
- MRI for breast cancer screening, diagnosis, and treatment.Lancet. 2011; 378: 1804-1811
- Preoperative magnetic resonance imaging in breast cancer: meta-analysis of surgical outcomes.Ann Surg. 2013; 257: 249-255