- •4% of contrast enhanced mammography examinations contained an enhancing finding seen only on subtraction images, i.e.: without low energy mammographic or sonographic correlate.
- •20% of enhancing findings seen only on subtraction images were downgraded to benign after undergoing correlative MR.
- •26% of enhancing findings seen only on subtraction images that underwent biopsy were malignant on pathology.
- •Image-guided tissue biopsy should be considered for enhancing findings seen only on subtraction images, using either CEM or MR guidance.
Materials and methods
Abbreviations:CEM (Contrast Enhanced Mammography), MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging), PPV (Positive Predictive Value), MR-VABB (MR-guided vacuum-assisted breast biopsy), NME (non-mass enhancement), CAD (computer assisted device), BI-RADS (Breast Imaging Radiology and Data Systems)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Contrast-Enhanced Digital Mammography in the Surgical Management of Breast Cancer.Ann Surg Oncol. Dec 2016; 23 (Suppl): 649-655https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-016-5567-7
- Evaluation of contrast-enhanced digital mammography.Eur J Radiol. Apr 2011; 78: 112-121https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejrad.2009.10.002
- Contrast-Enhanced Mammography: A Scientific Review.Journal of Breast Imaging. 2020; 2: 7-15https://doi.org/10.1093/jbi/wbz074
Lewis TC, Pizzitola VJ, Giurescu ME, et al. Contrast-enhanced Digital Mammography: A Single-Institution Experience of the First 208 Cases. The breast journal. Jan 2017;23(1):67-76. doi:10.1111/tbj.12681
- Contrast-Enhanced Spectral Mammography is Comparable to MRI in the Assessment of Residual Breast Cancer Following Neoadjuvant Systemic Therapy.Ann Surg Oncol. May 2018; 25: 1350-1356https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-018-6413-x
Patel BK, Lobbes MBI, Lewin J. Contrast Enhanced Spectral Mammography: A Review. Seminars in Ultrasound, CT and MRI. 2017/08/24/ 2017;doi:https://doi.org/10.1053/j.sult.2017.08.005
- Lesion characteristics, histopathologic results, and follow-up of breast lesions after MRI-guided biopsy.Diagn Interv Radiol. Sep-Oct 2017; 23: 333-338https://doi.org/10.5152/dir.2017.17004
- Clinical evaluation of contrast-enhanced digital mammography and contrast enhanced tomosynthesis–Comparison to contrast-enhanced breast MRI.Eur J Radiol. Dec 2015; 84: 2501-2508https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejrad.2015.09.019
- Contrast-enhanced spectral mammography vs. mammography and MRI - clinical performance in a multi-reader evaluation.Eur Radiol. Jul 2017; 27: 2752-2764https://doi.org/10.1007/s00330-016-4650-6
- Contrast-enhanced spectral mammography (CESM) versus breast magnetic resonance imaging (MRI): A retrospective comparison in 66 breast lesions.Diagn Interv Imaging. Feb 2017; 98: 113-123https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diii.2016.08.013
- Pure Fibrocystic Change Diagnosed at MRI-guided Vacuum-assisted Breast Biopsy: Imaging Features and Follow-up Outcomes.Journal of Breast Imaging. 2020; 2: 141-146https://doi.org/10.1093/jbi/wbz090
- Navigating contrast-enhanced digital mammography.Appl Radiol. 2017; 46: 21-28
- Breast MR imaging screening in women with a history of breast conservation therapy.Radiology. Aug 2014; 272: 366-373https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.14131893
Kaiser WA, Zeitler E. MR imaging of the breast: fast imaging sequences with and without Gd-DTPA. Preliminary observations. Radiology. Mar 1989;170(3 Pt 1):681-6. doi:10.1148/radiology.170.3.2916021
- Dynamic breast MR imaging: are signal intensity time course data useful for differential diagnosis of enhancing lesions?.Radiology. Apr 1999; 211: 101-110https://doi.org/10.1148/radiology.211.1.r99ap38101
Freer PE, Niell B, Rafferty EA. Preoperative Tomosynthesis-guided Needle Localization of Mammographically and Sonographically Occult Breast Lesions. Radiology. May 2015;275(2):377-83. doi:10.1148/radiol.14140515
- Outcome of MRI-guided breast biopsy.AJR Am J Roentgenol. Dec 2008; 191: 1798-1804https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.07.2827
- Outcome of high-risk lesions at MRI-guided 9-gauge vacuum- assisted breast biopsy.AJR Am J Roentgenol. Jan 2014; 202: 237-245https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.13.10600
Lee JM, Ichikawa L, Valencia E, et al. Performance Benchmarks for Screening Breast MR Imaging in Community Practice. Radiology. Oct 2017;285(1):44-52. doi:10.1148/radiol.2017162033
- Complete excision of the MRI target lesion at MRI-guided vacuum-assisted biopsy of breast cancer.AJR Am J Roentgenol. Oct 2008; 191: 1198-1202https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.07.3736
- MR imaging-guided 9-gauge vacuum-assisted core-needle breast biopsy: initial experience.Radiology. Jan 2006; 238: 54-61https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2381050050
Perlet C, Heywang-Kobrunner SH, Heinig A, et al. Magnetic resonance-guided, vacuum-assisted breast biopsy: results from a European multicenter study of 538 lesions. Cancer. Mar 1 2006;106(5):982-90. doi:10.1002/cncr.21720
- Outcome analysis of 9-gauge MRI-guided vacuum-assisted core needle breast biopsies.AJR Am J Roentgenol. Feb 2012; 198: 292-299https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.11.7594
- Utility of Targeted Ultrasound to Predict Malignancy Among Lesions Detected on Contrast-Enhanced Digital Mammography.American Journal of Roentgenology. 2020; 217 (2021/09/01): 595-604https://doi.org/10.2214/AJR.20.24368
- Breast Biopsies Under Magnetic Resonance Imaging Guidance: Challenges of an Essential but Imperfect Technique.Curr Probl Diagn Radiol. May-Jun 2016; 45: 193-204https://doi.org/10.1067/j.cpradiol.2015.07.002
- Identification of occult breast lesions detected by magnetic resonance imaging with targeted ultrasound: a prospective study.Eur J Radiol. Mar 2014; 83: 516-519https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejrad.2013.12.017