The accurate determination of human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2) status can predict response to treatment with HER2-targeted therapy for HER2-positive breast cancer patients. [99mTc]Tc-HYNIC-(Ser)3-LTVPWY ([99mTc]Tc-HYNIC-LY) is a small synthetic peptide molecule targeting of the HER2 receptor. This clinical study evaluated the pharmacokinetic, dosimetry, and efficacy of [99mTc]Tc-HYNIC-LY for determining the HER2 status in primary breast cancer patients.
Materials and Methods
In total, 24 women with suspected primary breast cancer received an intravenous injection of approximately 20 µg (∼740 MBq) of [99mTc]Tc-HYNIC-LY. In the first 3 patients, blood levels of radioactivity were analyzed for pharmacokinetic evaluation and planar gamma camera imaging was conducted at 30 min and 1, 2, 4, and 24 hour after injection for dosimetry assessment. In the last 21 patients, planar imaging was performed at the baseline, as well as 1, 2, 3, and 4 hour, followed by single-photon emission computed tomography (SPECT) imaging after 4 hour to evaluate the tumor-targeting potential in primary lesions.
Injection of [99mTc]Tc-HYNIC-LY was safe and well tolerated. Fast blood clearance provided high-contrast HER2 imaging within 1 to 4 hour. The highest absorbed radiation dose was found for kidneys (6.78E-03 ± 2.62E-04 mSv/MBq), followed by the heart (3.73E-03 ± 1.98E-04 mSv/MBq). The [99mTc]Tc-HYNIC-LY peptide was able to detect HER2 status in primary tumors at an acceptable level.
The findings of this study indicated that [99mTc]Tc-HYNIC-LY SPECT is safe and feasible for the identification of HER2-positive lesions in primary breast cancer patients, and may provide an accurate and non-invasive modality for guiding HER2 targeted therapy.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Breast Cancer
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Phase I study of 68Ga-HER2-nanobody for PET/CT assessment of HER2 expression in breast carcinoma.J Nucl Med. 2016; 57: 27-33
- Pegram MDJBcr, treatment. HER2 discordance between primary breast cancer and its paired metastasis: tumor biology or test artefact? Insights through meta-analysis.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2011; 129: 659-674
- Comparison of HER-2 overexpression in primary breast cancer and metastatic sites and its effect on biological targeting therapy of metastatic disease.Br J Cancer. 2005; 93: 552-556
- Preclinical and clinical applications of specific molecular imaging for HER2-positive breast cancer.Cancer Biol Med. 2017; 14: 271-280
- First-in-human molecular imaging of HER2 expression in breast cancer metastases using the 111In-ABY-025 affibody molecule.J Nucl Med. 2014; 55: 730-735
- Potential of PET to predict the response to trastuzumab treatment in an ErbB2-positive human xenograft tumor model.J Nucl Med. 2012; 53: 629-637
- Indium-111-labeled trastuzumab scintigraphy in patients with human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-positive metastatic breast cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2006; 24: 2276-2282
- Detection of HER2-positive metastases in patients with HER2-negative primary breast cancer using 89Zr-trastuzumab PET/CT.J Nucl Med. 2016; 57: 1523-1528
- Functional imaging of human epidermal growth factor receptor 2–positive metastatic breast cancer using 64Cu-DOTA-trastuzumab PET.J Nucl Med. 2014; 55: 23-29
- First in-human medical imaging with a PASylated 89 Zr-labeled anti-HER2 fab-fragment in a patient with metastatic breast cancer.Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2020; 54: 114-119
- Molecular imaging of HER2-expressing malignant tumors in breast cancer patients using synthetic 111In- or 68Ga-labeled affibody molecules.J Nucl Med. 2010; 51: 892-897
- Targeting of HER2-expressing tumors with a site-specifically 99mTc-labeled recombinant affibody molecule, ZHER2:2395, with C-terminally engineered cysteine.J Nucl Med. 2009; 50: 781-789
- Comparative in vivo evaluation of technetium and iodine labels on an anti-HER2 affibody for single-photon imaging of HER2 expression in tumors.J Nucl Med. 2006; 47: 512-519
- Direct comparison of 111 In-labelled two-helix and three-helix Affibody molecules for in vivo molecular imaging.Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2012; 39: 693-702
- Imaging of HER2/neu-positive BT-474 human breast cancer xenografts in athymic mice using (111)In-trastuzumab (Herceptin) Fab fragments.Nucl Med Biol. 2005; 32: 51-58
- Molecular design and optimization of 99mTc-labeled recombinant affibody molecules improves their biodistribution and imaging properties.J Nucl Med. 2011; 52: 461-469
- SPECT/CT imaging of the novel HER2-targeted peptide probe (99m)Tc-HYNIC-H6F in breast cancer mouse models.J Nucl Med. 2017; 58: 821-826
- Strategic approaches to optimizing peptide ADME properties.Aaps J. 2015; 17: 134-143
- Identification of novel carrier peptides for the specific delivery of therapeutics into cancer cells.FASEB J. 2003; 17: 256-258
- New small (99m)Tc-labeled peptides for HER2 receptor imaging.Eur J Med Chem. 2017; 127: 1012-1024
- An improved (99m)Tc-HYNIC-(Ser)(3)-LTVSPWY peptide with EDDA/tricine as co-ligands for targeting and imaging of HER2 overexpression tumor.Eur J Med Chem. 2018; 144: 767-773
- 99mTc-HYNIC-(Ser) 3-LTVPWY peptide bearing tricine as co-ligand for targeting and imaging of HER2 overexpression tumor.Eur J Med Chem. 2018; 106: 601-609
- Targeting and imaging of HER2 overexpression tumor with a new peptide-based (68)Ga-PET radiotracer.Bioorg Chem. 2021; 106104474
- The potential usefulness of (99m)Tc-HYNIC-(Ser)(3)-LTVPWY peptide for predicting HER2 status alteration after chemotherapy in ovarian tumor-bearing mice.Cancer Biother Radiopharm. 2022; 37: 862-869
- Nonclinical safety studies for the conduct of human clinical trials and marketing authorization for pharmaceuticals; availability.Notice. Fed Regist. 2010; 75: 3471-3472
- Preclinical pharmacokinetic, biodistribution, radiation dosimetry, and toxicity studies of (99m)Tc-HYNIC-(Ser)(3)-LTVPWY: A novel HER2-targeted peptide radiotracer.Regul Toxicol Pharmacol. 2020; 112104591
- Assessing the discordance rate between local and central HER2 testing in women with locally determined HER2-negative breast cancer.Cancer. 2014; 120: 2657-2664
- Comparative biodistribution and radiation dosimetry of 68Ga-DOTATOC and 68Ga-DOTATATE in patients with neuroendocrine tumors.J Nucl Med. 2013; 54: 1755-1759
- PET imaging with a [68 Ga] gallium-labelled PSMA ligand for the diagnosis of prostate cancer: biodistribution in humans and first evaluation of tumour lesions.Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2013; 40: 486-495
- Biodistribution and radiation dosimetry of the anti-HER2 affibody molecule 68Ga-ABY-025 in breast cancer patients.J Nucl Med. 2016; 57: 867-871
SAFE RA. TITLE 21–Food and Drugs Chapter I–food and drug administration department of health and human services subchapter B–food for human consumption (CONTINUED). 2011.
- Diagnostic value of 99mTc-bombesin scintigraphy for differentiation of malignant from benign breast lesions.Nucl Med Commun. 2014; 35: 620-625
- The effect of age, menopausal state, and breast density on (18)F-FDG uptake in normal glandular breast tissue.J Nucl Med. 2010; 51: 347-352
- Breast cancer imaging with radiolabelled peptide from complementarity-determining region of antitumour antibody.Lancet. 1995; 346: 1662-1666
- Development and characterization of clinical-grade 89Zr-trastuzumab for HER2/neu immunoPET imaging.J Nucl Med. 2009; 50: 974-981
- 89Zr-trastuzumab and 89Zr-bevacizumab PET to evaluate the effect of the HSP90 inhibitor NVP-AUY922 in metastatic breast cancer patients.Clin Cancer Res. 2014; 20: 3945-3954
- (111)In-trastuzumab scintigraphy in HER2-positive metastatic breast cancer patients remains feasible during trastuzumab treatment.Mol Imaging. 2014; 13
- Molecular imaging as a tool to investigate heterogeneity of advanced HER2-positive breast cancer and to predict patient outcome under trastuzumab emtansine (T-DM1): the ZEPHIR trial.Ann Oncol. 2016; 27: 619-624
- 64Cu-DOTA-trastuzumab PET imaging in patients with HER2-positive breast cancer.J Nucl Med. 2013; 54: 1869-1875
- Functional imaging of human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-positive metastatic breast cancer using (64)Cu-DOTA-trastuzumab PET.J Nucl Med. 2014; 55: 23-29
Published online: December 08, 2022
Accepted: December 3, 2022
Received in revised form: November 27, 2022
Received: May 25, 2022
© 2022 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.