ALDH2, IGSF9, and PRDM16 play crucial roles in regulating diverse cellular pathophysiologic functions. The current study was to evaluate the effect of the 3 proteins on clinicopathologic features and prognosis of patients with breast cancer.
Materials and Methods
The formalin-fixed and paraffin-embedded tissue specimens were collected from breast cancer patients by immunohistochemistry (IHC) were analyzed.
Of the 216 patients enrolled, ALDH2 high expression was significantly correlated with the age (p = .040), larger tumor size (p = .001), LVI (p < .001), LNM (p < .001), advanced TNM staging (p < .001), PR (p = .027), HER2 status (p = .002), and molecular subtype (p = .003). IGSF9 low expression was significantly correlated with the LV1 (p = .024), LNM (p = .024), advanced TNM staging (p = .001). The low expression of PRDM16 was significantly correlated with age (p = .023), and LNM (p = .014). The A+I−P− expression (13.4%) were markedly correlated with lymphatic vessel invasion (LVI) (p < .001), lymph node metastasis (LNM) (p < .001), advanced TNM staging (p < .001). Furthermore, patients with A+I−P− expression had significantly advanced-stage breast cancer [stage III (72.4%) vs. (23.0%)]. Univariate and multivariate analysis identified variables (ie, larger tumor size, lymph node involvement, and A+I−P− expression) as independent prognostic factors for survival.
Our results reveal ALDH2 high expression, IGSF9 and PRDM16 low expression, A+I−P− expression was associated with advanced clinicopathological characteristics, and shorter OS and DFS in breast cancer patients. The 3 proteins may be potential prognosis markers and therapeutic targets for breast cancer patients.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Breast Cancer
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Global cancer statistics 2018: GLOBOCAN estimates of incidence and mortality worldwide for 36 cancers in 185 countries.CA Cancer J Clin. 2018; 68: 394-424
- Liver x receptor alpha drives chemoresistance in response to side-chain hydroxycholesterols in triple negative breast cancer.Oncogene. 2021; 40: 2872-2883
- Transcriptome profiles of stem-like cells from primary breast cancers allow identification of ITGA7 as a predictive marker of chemotherapy response.Br J Cancer. 2021; 125: 983-993
- [Relationship between biologic behavior and morphologic features of invasive micropapillary carcinoma of the breast].Zhonghua Bing Li Xue Za Zhi. 2004; 33: 21-25
- Invasive micropapillary carcinoma of the breast: association of pathologic features with lymph node metastasis.Am J Clin Pathol. 2006; 126: 740-746
- Breast carcinoma with micropapillary features: clinicopathologic study and long-term follow-up of 100 cases.Int J Surg Pathol. 2008; 16: 155-163
- Genomic alterations and evolution of cell clusters in metastatic invasive micropapillary carcinoma of the breast.Nat Commun. 2022; 13: 111
- Cloning of cDNAs for human aldehyde dehydrogenases 1 and 2.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1985; 82: 3771-3775
- IGSF9 family proteins.Neurochem Res. 2013; 38: 1236-1251
- A novel EVI1 gene family, MEL1, lacking a PR domain (MEL1S) is expressed mainly in t(1;3)(p36;q21)-positive AML and blocks G-CSF-induced myeloid differentiation.Blood. 2003; 102: 3323-3332
- The multifaceted roles of PRDM16: adipose biology and beyond.Trends Endocrinol Metab. 2016; 27: 11-23
- Ethanol promotes alcohol-related colorectal cancer metastasis via the TGF-β/RUNX3/Snail axis by inducing TGF-β1 upregulation and RUNX3 cytoplasmic mislocalization.EBioMedicine. 2019; 50: 224-237
- Acetaldehyde-induced oxidative modifications and morphological changes in isolated human erythrocytes: an in vitro study.Environ Sci Pollut Res Int. 2020; 27: 16268-16281
- The enzymatic activity of human aldehyde dehydrogenases 1A2 and 2 (ALDH1A2 and ALDH2) is detected by Aldefluor, inhibited by diethylaminobenzaldehyde and has significant effects on cell proliferation and drug resistance.Chem Biol Interact. 2012; 195: 52-60
- Functional and molecular characterization of cancer stem-like cells in bladder cancer: a potential signature for muscle-invasive tumors.Oncotarget. 2015; 6: 36185-36201
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase-2 (ALDH2) opposes hepatocellular carcinoma progression by regulating AMP-activated protein kinase signaling in mice.Hepatology. 2017; 65: 1628-1644
- Silencing transcription factor FOXM1 represses proliferation, migration, and invasion while inducing apoptosis of liver cancer stem cells by regulating the expression of ALDH2.IUBMB Life. 2020; 72: 285-295
- Cloning and characterization of Igsf9 in mouse and human: a new member of the immunoglobulin superfamily expressed in the developing nervous system.Genomics. 2002; 79: 663-670
- The conserved Ig superfamily member Turtle mediates axonal tiling in Drosophila.J Neurosci. 2009; 29: 14151-14159
- Genetic evidence for the adhesion protein IgSF9/Dasm1 to regulate inhibitory synapse development independent of its intracellular domain.J Neurosci. 2014; 34: 4187-4199
- PRDM16 functions as a suppressor of lung adenocarcinoma metastasis.J Exp Clin Cancer Res. 2019; 38: 35
- High PRDM16 expression predicts poor outcomes in adult acute myeloid leukemia patients with intermediate cytogenetic risk: a comprehensive cohort study from a single Chinese center.Leuk Lymphoma. 2021; 62: 185-193
- miR-101 reverses hypomethylation of the PRDM16 promoter to disrupt mitochondrial function in astrocytoma cells.Oncotarget. 2016; 7: 5007-5022
- Comprehensive analysis of histone modification-associated genes on differential gene expression and prognosis in gastric cancer.Exp Ther Med. 2019; 18: 2219-2230
- PRDM16 suppresses HIF-targeted gene expression in kidney cancer.J Exp Med. 2020; 217
- Methylation of PRDM2, PRDM5 and PRDM16 genes in lung cancer cells.Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2014; 7: 2305-2311
- EPHA5 mediates trastuzumab resistance in HER2-positive breast cancers through regulating cancer stem cell-like properties.FASEB J. 2019; 33: 4851-4865
- Microarray gene expression profiling of cell lines from primary and metastatic tongue squamous cell carcinoma: possible insights from emerging technology.J Oral Pathol Med. 2005; 34: 77-86
- Beta-hydroxyisovalerylshikonin and cisplatin act synergistically to inhibit growth and to induce apoptosis of human lung cancer DMS114 cells via a tyrosine kinase-dependent pathway.Oncology. 2004; 66: 67-75
- Formononetin and metformin act synergistically to inhibit growth of MCF-7 breast cancer cells in vitro.Biomed Pharmacother. 2019; 109: 2084-2089
- Complex inhibition of autophagy by mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase shortens lifespan and exacerbates cardiac aging.Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Basis Dis. 2017; 1863: 1919-1932
- Mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 accentuates aging-induced cardiac remodeling and contractile dysfunction: role of AMPK, Sirt1, and mitochondrial function.Free Radic Biol Med. 2014; 71: 208-220
- PRDM16 represses the type I interferon response in adipocytes to promote mitochondrial and thermogenic programing.EMBO J. 2017; 36: 1528-1542
Published online: December 20, 2022
Accepted: December 15, 2022
Received in revised form: December 4, 2022
Received: July 11, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
© 2022 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.