- •Hsa_circ_0008673 was markedly elevated in BC tissues and cells.
- •Down-regulation of hsa_circ_0008673 increased cell apoptosis.
- •Hsa_circ_0008673 regulated the expression of GINS4 by sponging miR-578.
- •GINS4 was responsible for BC progression regulated by hsa_circ_0008673.
Circular RNAs (circRNAs) play a crucial role in breast cancer (BC) development. This study aimed to explore the new potential mechanism of hsa_circ_0008673 in BC.
Materials and Methods
Hsa_circ_0008673, microRNA-578 (miR-578) and recombinant human GINS complex subunit 4 (GINS4) abundances were measured via quantitative real-time PCR or western blot. Cell proliferation, metastasis, angiogenesis and apoptosis were assessed via EdU assay, transwell assay, tube formation assay, and flow cytometry. The interactions among hsa_circ_0008673, miR-578 and GINS4 were tested via dual-luciferase reporter analysis and RNA pull-down assay. Animal studies were performed to assess the effect of hsa_circ_0008673 on BC tumor growth.
Hsa_circ_0008673 level was increased in BC tissues and cells. Hsa_circ_0008673 silencing repressed BC cell growth, metastasis and angiogenesis, as well as hampered BC tumor growth. Hsa_circ_0008673 acted as miR-578 sponge, and miR-578 targeted GINS4. Furthermore, hsa_circ_0008673 modulated GINS4 expression through sponging miR-578. Additionally, miR-578 inhibitor or GINS4 overexpression could reverse the inhibitory effect of hsa_circ_0008673 silencing on BC cell progression.
Hsa_circ_0008673 might promote BC progression via modulating miR-578/GINS4 pathway.
Abbreviations:circRNAs (circular RNAs), BC (breast cancer), miRNA (microRNA), GINS4 (GINS complex subunit 4), qRT-PCR (quantitative real-time PCR)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinical Breast Cancer
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Breast cancer: current perspectives on the disease status.Adv Exp Med Biol. 2019; 1152: 51-64
- Long noncoding RNA MEG3 suppresses cell proliferation, migration and invasion, induces apoptosis and paclitaxel-resistance via miR-4513/PBLD axis in breast cancer cells.Cell Cycle. 2020; 19: 3277-3288
- Key steps for effective breast cancer prevention.Nat Rev Cancer. 2020; 20: 417-436
- Circular RNAs in drug resistant tumors.Biomed Pharmacother. 2019; 118109233
- Circular RNAs in the cardiovascular system.Noncoding RNA Res. 2018; 3: 1-11
- Oenothein B inhibits human non-small cell lung cancer A549cell proliferation by ROS-mediated PI3K/Akt/NF-kappaB signaling pathway.Chem Biol Interact. 2019; 298: 112-120
- Identification of plasma hsa_circ_0008673 expression as a potential biomarker and tumor regulator of breast cancer.J Clin Lab Anal. 2020; 34: e23393
- Circ_0008673 regulates breast cancer malignancy by miR-153-3p/CFL2 axis.Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2022; 305: 223-232
- The regulatory role of MicroRNAs in breast cancer.Int J Mol Sci. 2019; 20: 4940
- MiR-578 and miR-573 as potential players in BRCA-related breast cancer angiogenesis.Oncotarget. 2015; 6: 471-483
- MicroRNAs: target recognition and regulatory functions.Cell. 2009; 136: 215-233
- Upregulated hsa_circ_0005785 facilitates cell growth and metastasis of hepatocellular carcinoma through the miR-578/APRIL Axis.Front Oncol. 2020; 10: 1388
- Overexpression of hsa_circ_0008274 inhibited the progression of lung adenocarcinoma by regulating HMGA2 via sponging miR-578.Thorac Cancer. 2021; 12: 2258-2264
- CircZFR functions as a sponge of miR-578 to promote breast cancer progression by regulating HIF1A expression.Cancer Cell Int. 2020; 20: 400
- The novel GINS4 axis promotes gastric cancer growth and progression by activating Rac1 and CDC42.Theranostics. 2019; 9: 8294-8311
- GINS complex subunit 4, a prognostic biomarker and reversely mediated by Kruppel-like factor 4, promotes the growth of colorectal cancer.Cancer Sci. 2020; 111: 1203-1217
- Expression and prognosis analysis of GINS subunits in human breast cancer.Medicine (Baltimore). 2021; 100: e24827
Published online: December 22, 2022
Accepted: December 19, 2022
Received in revised form: November 15, 2022
Received: March 28, 2022
© 2022 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.